Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangyi17 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
My point of view: you should never own a modern BMW out of warranty. So get an extended warranty and enjoy the car for 7 years less a day.
Coming from a Honda owner experience, maybe I need to lower my expectations about the reliability of BMW? Trade off between reliability and power, would the N55 in the 40i be a more balanced than the N63?
Both engines are pretty awesome in the X5. The 8 is just awesome power, feel, and sound. The 6 is smooth and highly/surprisingly economical when driven with that intent and isn't a power and feel slouch by any means — one of the fastest SUVs on the road.

But while bimmers are driver's cars through and through, their general reliability has always been just average, yet always expensive to repair. Plus, in G05, there is so much tech that I feel it is guaranteed to be irreparable in a practical sense outside BMW dealership services (including self) when that starts to decay with age. So "only under warranty" is going to be my bimmer rule from X5 forward.

Oh, you were asking about the relative reliability of the two engines. Don't know, but with above philosophy, doesn't matter.