12-30-2019, 07:33 AM   #6
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E44, E61, E07

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Both engines are pretty awesome in the X5. The 8 is just awesome power, feel, and sound. The 6 is smooth and highly/surprisingly economical when driven with that intent and isn't a power and feel slouch by any means — one of the fastest SUVs on the road.

But while bimmers are driver's cars through and through, their general reliability has always been just average, yet always expensive to repair. Plus, in G05, there is so much tech that I feel it is guaranteed to be irreparable in a practical sense outside BMW dealership services (including self) when that starts to decay with age. So "only under warranty" is going to be my bimmer rule from X5 forward.

Oh, you were asking about the relative reliability of the two engines. Don't know, but with above philosophy, doesn't matter.
Good points. There’s a thread going on about Consumer Report SUV ratings and how it has slipped on the G05. Well, I’m sure it’s related to the technology of the new model not being ready for prime time. We shouldn’t be test mules for their QC department, but I think it’s a bold undertaking and as long as they fix the issues in a reasonable time frame, I’m ok. I can imagine that it’s quite the challenge working with devices outside of their control, ie Apple, Google, etc. because these companies constantly issue new SW updates, and we all know well thought out those are. I am willing to take the time to get the updates installed for the pleasure this car affords. If it strands me in the desert, I will modify that last sentence. As you said, I won’t own it out of warranty either.

Sorry...got off point, I do think the I6 is and always has been their star in the engine lineup. Personally, while you may like the rumble and power of the V8, I want the sweet smoothness of the I6 for my daily driver and travel vehicle.
Appreciate 0