GTF
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i, 2023 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
FYI:
A base Porsche Cayenne is a slower than a base X5 40i and the Cayenne S is the same performance as the base X5 40i. BMW is in fact a superior high performance SUV model for model across the entire line.

Porsche has cleverly marked their SUV’s to infer Porsche 911 performance some how transfers into their SUV line. Funny enough the Cayenne was a direct and late counter measure to compete in a already established performance SUV market created by BMW with the X5. We in PCA were given first test drive at several events to get our opinion. Let’s just say the feedback with a Porsche SUV to the Porsche market was “not good”. So Porsche had to go outside their Porsche market that typically buys their sports cars and draw in a different demographic so this is when the total B.S “Live the Porsche lifestyle” marketing campaign started for the Cayenne and eventually the Macan. People that didn’t know what owning a 911 was all about believed the hype. Typically people that just wanted the cachet of the Porsche crest but didn’t care what hood the crest was on.

Early Porsche owners grew to detest the Cayenne more for its ridiculous marketing campaigns that crapped on the legacy of the 911 that took decades to establish. I think if Porsche didn’t so blatantly try to connect the two vehicles that had nothing in common, and market the Cayenne more honestly, there wouldn’t have been such a push back. For years Porsche dealers never were allowed to position the Cayenne next to a 911 in the show room. This was Porsche dealer policy. Even today you will still see this practice done by many dealers.

Me personally, I tried to like the Cayenne Turbo and took several test drives. There were several reasons I didn’t care for its interior design but the exterior design still trying to look like a raised 911 rubbed me wrong to a point I would never be able to get past it. It’s not a attractive SUV design with odd effeminate curves. The 911 design still doesn’t translate well to anything other than a sports car. A turtle with wings and calling it a bird doesn’t make a attractive bird.

If you can get past the looks of the Panamera, that’s the luxury vehicle you should buy from Porsche if your not buying a sports car.

(This perspective coming from 30 years of 911 ownership, and PCA concourse judge). I am very well in touch with the pulse of Porsche and their owners. It is what it is.
The base Cayenne and the 40i are almost identical in performance. Acceleration of the X5 slightly better until 100mph, then the Porsche pulls ahead. Handling (at the limit) goes to the Cayenne. The Cayenne S performance is much closer to the 50i.
Looks are personal preference. I think the Cayenne design is superior to any mid-size SUV, and I think the Porsche design does translate successfully to their SUVs. I think my Macan looked better than the X3, and I prefer the new Cayenne design to my 2019 X5.
I saw a bit of "attitude" toward the SUV owners while in the PCA...how dare they compromise the sports cars. What they fail to recognize or admit is that the Cayenne and Macan allow Porsche to continue to make and improve their sports cars. And the new Cayenne I think is the best ever...better style and decent performance on the entry "base". That's why the new Cayenne sales are up close to 80%. I'm sure BMW would have liked that sales increase on the new G05.
That said, I chose the X5 over the Cayenne last May, and no regrets. I've seen the X5 reliability plummet lately, but mine has been trouble-free. It's quiet, solid, has great interior and tech, and the 3.0 inline with the ZF 8-speed is a stellar performer. I think the Cayenne looks better, and their 18-way seats were better, but not worth (to me) an additional $15-20K. (And I do miss the great sound of those quad exhausts on my Macan).
Appreciate 2
TXSchnee1307.50