02-25-2020, 08:46 PM   #3
Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
You might consider PPF on just the front 18 inches or so of the hood. That is where most of the rock damage occurs.

I had no protection on my (2 cars ago) Mercedes. Lots of dings. The Lexus that I traded for my X5 was a golfer car at the PGA Championship. When I bought it it already had the PPF on the hood (about 18 inches), as well as the recesses of the door handles and the door edges. I would have never paid for it myself.

When I traded it for the X5, it had no dings in the hood, but several door dings on the drivers side. Better yet, there were no marks on the plastic film. They say they have self healing properties, and it turned out to be true. I did get several rock dings in the windshield, however.

For my X5, I figured that the rock dings would really show up on black paint, so I got the PPF on the first 18 inches of the hood and then did Ceramic Coating on the whole car.

I think your other option would be to use a dent removal / touch-up service periodically. For a big enough rock, I’ll need that, too.
Appreciate 0