View Single Post
      08-06-2020, 09:54 AM   #24
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
I think schools that are closed (=distance learning) for the start of the school year, will remain so for the entire year. First, they'll wait till November. Then, regardless of the election outcomes, they'll find a way to delay any decisions for another month or two. By then the regular flu season will kick in, and voila - "we can't risk... blah... blah...blah".

Interesting dynamic in DC metro area. Many parents pulling their kids from the public systems in favor of private and homeschooling, and/or trying to organize alternative 'pod' schooling. Impact of all that is becoming noticeable even to usually 'teflon' county officials, as even they realize the $$$ stream may weaken.
Your first point is why I along with my daughter's mother decided to put her into the full program at a private school. Because these fools still haven't quantified the exact criteria that they deem appropriate to open. And those that have have set the bar so high it's unrealistic. Requirements that never were put in place when this virus wasn't around and the flu was the big issue.

On your second point, I really hope this movement continues and it holds these official accountable. Because the only thing they understand is $$$$. And when parents are given the right to apply public funds that normally would automatically go to public schools to private institutions, they'll wise up quickly. And parents can't just sit waiting for these idiots to figure it out. In the case of the private school I put my daughter in, they only had 3 slots left when the announcement went out about going full virtual. The school required a full term commitment if we enroll her. If we knew that there was a realistic timeline/benchmark that the public school would open up, then we may have waited. But the vagueness of their criteria to open up forced us to commit to just pulling our daughter out for the entire year. This is the same situation facing other parents entertaining the private school option.
Appreciate 0