View Single Post
      08-06-2020, 10:54 AM   #33
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
I am very conflicted and frustrated by all of this.

I have 3 kids (5, 7, 10), and my wife has a 'pre-existing condition' (hospitalized twice because of an immune response, almost didn't make it out once) also of note, we live in the SF Bay Area, while 'we' have not been hit really hard by the 'Rona it is around.

We have been part of a very good private school that the kids love. The school is going hard to reopen, doing everything you can imagine, they bought a disinfecting robot for around $90k, going to keep the kids in 'pods' of about 10, etc. If anyone can do it right they can, they have the resources, and the space.

I was shocked that my wife was ready to send them back to school, we have been quarantining pretty aggressively, I go to work (my own small office/shop) but that is it.

At the last minute she got cold feet about the whole idea of sending the kids back, and long story short the school will not offer an online only learning program for the year (we were willing to 'over pay' for it for a year so we didn't lose our spot).

She didn't want to be part of the 'experiment' and we know there will be start and stop, and if anyone is exposed there will be a 2 week quarantine etc, she also has a friend who works at the health department in another county, who said the cases in children are higher then we would be lead to believe (with unknown long term effects), and she is keeping her kids out of school.

At the end of the day, what the kids will be missing out on is the experience, but with masks/distancing/no interaction they won't be getting the experience that we want for them even if they are in school.

On a personal level, I support anyone who want to get back to 'normal' don't be foolish, but live your life. For now, we can't hangout, we have a condition in our house that requires extra caution. Hopefully we can all get on the other side of this thing soon. 2020 can eat sh*t.
This is definitely a very individual decision.

From my side, I'm the poster child of the high risk group for this virus. I've been through two cancers and currently am dealing with two cardiac conditions. None of this was due to me being a lazy slob. I work out and many are shocked to find out I'm turning 50 this year when everyone has me pegged to be in my 30's. Plus the ex is working as a nurse in a hospital. Have I put my life on hold? No. Am I stupid with how I conduct my life? No. It just shocks me how weak many people are that don't have the list of conditions that would put them at risk freaking out about this virus. If any of them had to go through even a portion of my life they'd be useless after a few days. I still see my daughter and have no problems with her going to school with the off chance she could bring the virus home to me. For me it's about her.

As to the stats about kids getting infected. This is another sore point for me. There really needs to be a further break down on the stats for infection of kids. You can't just lump all kids 18 and under in one stat. There has been credible discussion that the younger the kid the less susceptible they are to this virus. I feel the stats should be broken up into 11 to 18 years old and 10 and under.
Appreciate 0