03-29-2016, 10:41 AM   #42
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Some of us work in sales. Telling a customer you won't negotiate further on price, while wearing a $50K watch will give them perceived leverage. Same with rolling up to a customer in a Lambo or a Rolls Royce. In this type of scenario, a smart person takes all possible influences into account. Maybe we have different definitions or "caring", though.
Also in sales but I would also say how you dress, what you drive, etc. can have other negative affects whether in sales, mgmt., HR, etc. As others said, you can do what you want but you have to weigh the positives and negatives to everything and decide if it is still worth it to you.

Working in sales at manufacturing company, it would make my life more difficult than it is worth for me to show up at one of our plants and recommend reducing our margin, people working overtime to get products out, a raise, negotiating a deal, etc. while wearing a really expensive watch. While many would say the watch is irrelevant it only matters what the person you are trying to sway believes.