View Single Post
      08-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #31
adc100
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
The OP is a good example of why Subaru has a big following in North America. The owners just assume it's AWD system it the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's a very basic design that works well but in reality there's probably 0.5% of the time it would ever have any advantage over say a Haldex style AWD system. There are much more sophisticated AWD systems out there are that superior when it comes to overall performance. Hell the old EVO X S-AWC system was far superior than any system Subaru has created as they have never made a true (using the brakes doesn't count) torque vectoring AWD system.

Also Subaru can't build a good engine. Whether it's ringland issues, bearing issues, oil consumption issues, they have simply never made a bulletproof engine that you could count on to last without issue. Their lineup is largely generic and generally don't age well especially on the inside as the interiors are always a generation behind everyone else. I've owned a GV STI and my wife is currently driving an Outback so I'm not talking out of my ass as I have been a longtime NASIOC member and know the brand very, very well. Subaru makes very average vehicles that come standard with AWD. They are generally good but never great and generally that's good enough for the masses as most consumers don't aspire for greatness out of their automobiles as if they did Toyota would go out of business. It also has to be noted that Subaru is only a player in Canada, USA, and Australia. They aren't competitive in Europe at all because Europeans have generally higher standards when it comes to automobiles and don't feel that AWD is a necessity like people in North America have been brainwashed to believe that you have to have AWD to drive in snow.
I can't prove your Haldex style AWD system is any better than Subaru's system. And neither can you Doesn't matter how you control the torqu. .. I know how good my xt is in the snow. I can. drive all day in 10 inch snow. Thats good enough for me.

As far as not being able to build a quality engine..As I have said the FA engine has won the best import engine 3 times in seven years. No one (including BMW has done that. The FB had an oil usage problem the first year it was out. It was a problem. Again I don't know what the Quality of the FB series is. The EJ turbo is as good an engine as anyone has ever built...that's not bs..its fact.

The EJ engine was an open deck engine that chewed up head gaskets. Subaru was criminal for allowing that to continue. Its right up there with the GM 2.4/2.6 Intake gasket leak. Subaru deserves all the critism for that engine. But once they went to MLS gaskets the problem went away. But even I can not defend that engine.
Appreciate 0