06-21-2020, 01:15 PM   #115
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Don't we believe that in terms of OTA, being a few rev levels behind the most current software iteration may not be a bad thing. Dealers are having their own difficulties coming up to speed on software update ramifications, can you imagine if the latest software were to be installed on thousands of vehicles via OTA and that software caused any safety related issues?

Only judging from reported issues that software has caused and solved, BMW has their hands full with proper software testing, regression testing, etc and it would be detrimental for them to release new software to the general populous. So they are taking a safer (for you) route by only releasing "proven" (using this term lightly:-) software via OTA and the latest at the dealer where it might be caught if something were to go wrong. I don't believe Tesla simply releases their latest via OTA either, they or any manufacturer has the latest version under test within their company.

What would be very nice is if along with the OTA, a list of changes were sent so owners would.. ..
1. Know if they wanted that particular OTA or not
2. Know what to expect after the OTA installation
3. Know if that OTA caused something that was working to now no longer work
4. Attempt to know if someones custom coding might be impacted or reset by the OTA (though BMW would not/should not be concerned with this).

Anyway, if your car is running fine and you are a few levels of software behind what the dealers can do for you, then all should be considered well. Sooner or later, todays latest OTA will come your way and at some point down the road, getting OTA's will become the norm and a bit pass'. Its like chasing the proverbial carrot.
I think being one version behind for the OTA is the right way to go indeed for BMW as a company. We only know what we know when we know it and some thing are only clear after a couple of months. So better safe than sorry. Especially when it is made available for ten thousands of cars at the same time. I bug would lead to a huge disaster with cars being immobilized as show in one of the posts.

On the other hand I can be quite impatient as a customer. It's like the iPhone 12 being announced and being available in all the world but with a delay of 3 months in Belgium. So if I hear new functionality is introduced I want it ASAP too. And I know this is not always the best way to go.
Appreciate 0