12-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #9
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye59 View Post
Another way to comp the 'before and after' is via drag strip runs (or V-box versions for those with the device). On very similar nights (temp, humidity, etc.) my car was about half a second and four mph faster in the quarter mile after the Dinan tune was installed. Somewhere on this forum is a more detailed post from me on the topic, including some timeslip photos. That said, it didn't take a trip to the strip to feel the difference in the car. Floor it at 40 - 45 mph and eight out of ten times the rear tires will break loose, followed by a high speed fishtail if you leave your foot in it. It's guaranteed to scare your passengers half to death, but it's great fun too. (That said, I'm one of those who is secretly looking forward to AWD versions of these cars in the future. I like tire smoke, but I like feeling my eyeballs distort from acceleration even more...) As someone else noted above, the Dinan tune retains or improves the 'stock' drivability. I've read some posts from BMS users complaining about throttle sensitivity or unpredictability, though most of those folks swear by their tune. My car is a '13, therefore no Comp Pack, so I also added the Dinan swaybars front and rear, and the Dinan coilover kit, which lowered the car about half an inch. I love the overall package, and though the weight is always there, you don't feel it nearly as much after the suspension mods (and the tune). The big gripe about Dinan is the price and I share that gripe, especially since the price of the tune dropped $500 the week after I had it installed and a refund has not been forthcoming. For me, the dealership installation and warranty sealed the deal and I would do it again. It's a great car, and even though I still yearn for a 911 Turbo S, I can't see one of those as a daily driver. The M5, however, is dynamite in that regard. Good looks, four doors and sub-12 second quarter mile times. Not much to complain about. Gook luch with your decision.
Well said. Thanks bud!
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0