i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie84 View Post
I think a fair comparison would be 6.0L V8 producing 400hp and 3.8L flat six producing 400hp. Both produce similar results, but the technology is far more advanced in 3.8L engine, and the sensation you get from it is totally different. Some might prefer the simpler, cheaper solution of a bigger engine, but to others, the thrill of taking a small, high-revving engine to the redline is much more appreciated, along with the latter being lighter in weight. The engine is inside the car so you can't see it most of the time, and you can't even see the beautiful work that goes into the internal parts to create a high-revving NA engine with over 100hp per liter. But does it make a difference, hell yeah it does.
the problem with the engine to watch comparison is that you interact with a car engine far much more than a watch movement. at least for me, the driver engagement of a car offers a much deeper emotional connection than looking at a watch tick. right hand on the wheel, left hand on the shifter, one foot for the clutch, and the other for the gas/brake - every appendage is linked. but what do I know? i'm not a watch guy. tbh, I just wear a calculator watch most of the time haha. but I've been in love with cars (and not just german ones) since I was born.

not saying that spending a lot of money on watches is stupid. just that its not my thing.

fun fact: gm ls v8s are usually lighter than Porsche flat 6s. there are guys who have done Porsche v8 swaps

Last edited by i dunno; 11-22-2013 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0