View Single Post
      02-26-2019, 09:37 AM   #25
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavaria22 View Post
Can't see how they are less comfortable... Whenever I drive my car, I touch my shifter once when I put in D and once when I put in P. That's it.

Still looks better IMHO. The non-glass "comfort" stick looks too plasticky.
Really? I use the shifter all the time to shift in and out of sport mode, to down shift, etc. I find it more intuitive than the paddle shifters, probably all those years of driving a stick.

I also don't see where it looks plasticky, frankly, but it's all subjective. I looked at it again this AM to see if I was missing anything, since I rarely look at it given that my hand is almost always on it (tactile in this case it more important to me than appearance, and the angled facets of the glass shifter are uncomfortable to my hand). That said, I personally think it looks better than the glass, which is a little too blingy for me. The standard shifter has a nice amount of aluminum trim and decent grip on the front. I would have preferred leather in the front, but I actually think it's the best looking shifter BMW has come out with in years, definitely better than the previous weirdly shaped shifter (aka buttplug).

Again, to each his own, but I wouldn't shy away from the standard shifter, especially if you use it to shift into sport mode often. Frankly, if the glass shifter was standard, I'd pay to have this one instead. Again, not commenting on anyone's choice to go glass (it's a completely subjective thing), but I personally find the standard shift better looking and more comfortable.

That said, the glass on the buttons and iDrive are cool.
Appreciate 0