01-08-2020, 12:37 PM   #26
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tna3 View Post
I don't agree with you. A lack of charging infrastructure even today is obvious. And he makes the point that most people charge at home or work, people who have these luxuries make use of them. It just doesn't scale well. Reality is most businesses are not silicon valley tech companies that offer chargers in their parking lots. Many homes have only 100 amps of service and are limited not only by internal components but also by surrounding street and existing wiring infrastructure that was never meant to scale. Many of which are underground. A single Tesla supercharger itself consumes 80 AMPs right there. And I am only talking about the US. Other parts of the world are far behind. The timelines presented for EV adoption seem reasonable to me if anything even optimistic.

You disagree, but it sounds like there are some fundamental misconceptions at play here.

1) As said in the article, most people charge at home/work. Everyone's home/work as electricity! Minimum 120V, but often much more. No one will ever have hydrogen, etc. at home or work.

2) Even 100amps of home service is enough to charge a BEV + meeting existing home electrical requirements. A 30A breaker/circuit/outlet works just fine with a $35 adapter that comes with most BEVs and Teslas. If you have more amperage available, a dedicated wall charger can be installed, but a normal "dryer" style outlet can also be used.

3) Tesla "Superchargers" are the equipment found on highways, etc. They are rated to provide 150-250A. The dedicated home "wall charger" you're referring to is purely optional, and typically is configured with a 60A breaker, to provide 48A of charging.

4) Electricity absolutely scales well. Every single new home or building construction in the US can easily and cheaply accommodate the energy infrastructure required to charge a BEV. Existing homes/buildings are too diverse for me to make such a generalization, but anything from a standard 12A/120V outlet to a 30A/240V dryer outlet can support vehicle charging.

Last edited by SamS; 01-08-2020 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0