02-10-2020, 09:31 PM   #30
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
So I just got back from the Chicago Auto Show and had the opportunity to sit in quite a few of these interiors. I will say, materials quality and fit/finish makes such a huge difference. An interior which may LOOK like it's luxurious often times doesn't translate into feeling luxurious when you actually sit in the car.

Case in point - the Genesis GV80 got the most votes on this poll. And from an overall styling/design perspective, it is quite nice. But sitting in one today after having sat in the Audi Q7/Q8, there is a night and day difference in terms of quality and fit/finish (Unfortunately BMW and Mercedes have skipped out on the Chicago Auto Show for the 2nd year in a row - something about them thinking it's not worth their time). You really begin to realize that the Genesis is using lower grade materials which are designed to look nice.

This isn't a knock on Genesis, for the price it's a great interior. But for anyone that says purchasing a BMW/Mercedes/Audi means you're just paying a premium for the badge and nothing more, I have to disagree.
Really? I find the Q7/8 to have some of the cheapest interiors on the lux market. Too much plastics and gloss black/touchscreens and not enough leather and stitching. However fit and finish is always good for Audi's.

I'm not expecting the GV80 to be X5 levels of quality, but I'm sure it will still be plenty nice enough for most people, not to mention it'll be cheaper so you gotta cut costs somewhere.

I sat in the new G70 and was pleasantly surprised with the interior materials. The switchgear was lacking, but the GV80 looks to fix that, however you've sat in the vehicle and I haven't so I guess I'll have to wait and see.