Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Yep, the most important part of the whole process is the initial paint correction - and I think that's where a good detailer is critical. I think you can get all different levels of coating, but I believe generally the lifespan of ceramic is a couple or three years before needing some sort of refresh, so follow up is important, particularly since regular waxing is out on ceramic. Impressed so far with the ease of maintenance and the durability, and wouldn't hesitate to get it again.
Just got my car done a week ago. The job overall was fairly good. He came to me and did it over 4 hours. There are some noticeable swirl marks still there (Now under the coating) but they were in hard to access areas like the license plate area. Bonnet and sides of car look ok. I guess the buffer/sander he had was too large to get into all the curves of the car.

On a related note, has anyone gotten their windshield coated and had the wipers make funny sounds? I am not sure if my wiper rubber is just a bit dodgy or if its the ceramic coating causing them to squeak.
This points out the challenge of shopping for ceramic/PPF services. The vast majority of the cost for the service and labor it takes to do a good job is in paint correction (even on new cars) and not in the product itself. As you keep pressing for lower price, the detailers only option is to reduce his cost in paint correction: either by having a newly hired kid do the work or cutting back on his time in areas he knows you won't check. I would want an excellent job done at a reasonable price. I would want to know products they will use but as importantly hours they will spend in paint correction and by whom. I would then ask to sign off on the paint correction before sealer is installed.
If your not willing or able to pay a reasonable price, your probably better off doing it yourself or waxing two-three times a year.
Appreciate 0