03-09-2020, 08:55 PM   #36
MrMoo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAGuy View Post
This points out the challenge of shopping for ceramic/PPF services. The vast majority of the cost for the service and labor it takes to do a good job is in paint correction (even on new cars) and not in the product itself. As you keep pressing for lower price, the detailers only option is to reduce his cost in paint correction: either by having a newly hired kid do the work or cutting back on his time in areas he knows you won't check. I would want an excellent job done at a reasonable price. I would want to know products they will use but as importantly hours they will spend in paint correction and by whom. I would then ask to sign off on the paint correction before sealer is installed.
If your not willing or able to pay a reasonable price, your probably better off doing it yourself or waxing two-three times a year.
In this case the detailer did it himself. He initially said it would take 4 hours to correct but finished both the application and correction in about 3.5 hours. I can only assume he booked a second job after mine and needed to rush out to do the next job.

I think my biggest mistake here was probably not asking him to let me know once correction was completed. I could then inspect the job in the sunlight to find any swirls he may of missed.

You are right he did cut back in certain areas that he thought I would not check or where the sunlight is less likely to directly hit.

The bloke I used does have very good reviews online and is professional and on time. I think he was probably just pushed for time. The next quote I got from another company that has great reviews was almost twice the cost and they needed to keep the car for 2 days. So of course I wasn't expecting the same quality job from someone that asked for half as much and could come to me and do it over a matter of hours. I guess you need to balance your expectations based on who you go with.
Appreciate 0