09-17-2023, 02:40 PM   #19
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
can any X5 30d, 40i, m50i chime in to my question?

do you have a button that’s required to be pressed prior to opening the fuel flap (door)?

if not, then my next question is to elnoraao2:

couldn’t it be argued the PHEV is designed with such a button because it’s not serving the same function as opening the gas cap to vent the fuel tank? you say all fuel tanks equalize after some time. if that’s the case, then i should be able to open the fuel flap on my unlocked 45e that’s been sitting overnight in my 75° garage… BUT I JUST TRIED AND I CAN’T. I had to press the button first which then took about 10 seconds before it unlocked
Not an owner of the cars you listed, but I have a few older bmws. None need that button to open flap. It just open when car is close unlocked.

You also ask 30d, diesel engine. Diesel is more of an oil substance than a solvent substance. Diesel doesn’t not generate any meaningful vapor, probably 1% of what gasoline will generate. So then need to equalize diesel tank is basically zero.

By equalize, I mean equilibrium point where pressure inside tank will prevent more gasoline vaporized. The pressure inside will still be greater, but not by much. Gasoline does not unlimitedly vaporize in a confirmed space. The cap is very safe to open even without depressurize. The cap’s mechanism to release pressure will still exist, it is a bit over pressure protection mechanism. All car’s cap does that.

I am not saying equalization is a bad thing, it is a nice to have. There are plenty of way to do it. BMW’s way is if equalization fail, you are not getting gas, this is messed up. When I roll into gas station, I probably really need gas. It is a small nice to have consideration that can strand a family on road. This is what sucks.

Btw, the reason 45e/530e/330e, use a steel tank, I just learned it has nothing to do with the drive train. But that is another topics.

Last edited by eelnoraa; 09-17-2023 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0