02-04-2020, 08:00 AM   #20
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by polychromatic View Post
Just an fyi, but I just checked my (new) merino seat bolsters and found the leather was quite thick, at least thicker than I expected. Do you think they possibly spec thicker leather for the bolsters knowing the abuse they will see ?
Somehow I doubt it. In any event, its the top that takes the abuse so even if they were thicker, it wouldn't help. After just being at the dealer yesterday, I didn't find the merino side bolsters to be the issue, they are not that rigid or high. The issue is getting in the car since the car is so high. Meaning that even if there weren't any side bolsters, we'd still be wearing the entry side of the seats. I had this happen in my 840 which was so low to the ground that you got yourself into a certain position and then just fell into the seat from there. The entry side still wore.

Here is my X3 dakota leather drivers seat at about 60K miles. This seat is very easy to get into and out of for me, just the right height but I still make sure I deliberately try to avoid sliding on it yet you can see the wear marks. However, for me, this is acceptable at that mileage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0