02-14-2020, 12:32 PM   #6
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E44, E61, E07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddelX52019G05 View Post
In my experience radar detectors with added laser detection are worthless against a LIDAR (laser) gun. In my state Illinois there is still primary usage of older radar based technology.

Depending on where you drive, highway or city and the technology the local law enforcement uses a better defense is to set your cruise control to stay below 10 over or consider making a substantial investment in a laser shifting system.

I'm no angel, but after looking at the costs and considering the potential consequences, seems like I'm better off planning my trips using Google maps to allow enough travel time to get to where I need to be without exceeding 10 over the posted highway speed limit, it's less stressful too.
Here in TX and CO, its rare to get poked by a laser, but it does happen. I use a detector to keep me honest, especially in those speed traps where it drops unexpectedly from 70 to 40 thru small towns. I usually drive +10, and the detector has saved me on numerous occasions. I also try to follow someone going the same speed, but when on trips thru W. Texas, NM, and CO, there are much fewer cars to follow. Every time I’ve been stopped I’ve been the only car in the vicinity.

I use an older Passport, and was hoping the hardware technology has taken a leap forward, like battery power or bluetooth, but sounds like its just a re-hash of the same gear.
Appreciate 0