12-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #6
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
I drink more wine, specifically cabernet, than whisky but just a glass with dinner everyday.

Almost exclusively Cab from Napa regions.

We are hosting a get together party this weekend and a friend is bringing a Silver Oak Cab 2015. Can't wait to try it.

Tried Cab from Chile few years back. Not too impressed, but I guess people who like lighter (or water down) red (such as Frances) would appreciate it more than those of us who like our Napa Cab to be on the thick side.

The most expensive Cab I have had thus far is Opus. Personally, I do not think it should worth the price but I did not pay for it lol
Silver Oak was our go to wine for many years but I haven’t had anything after 2013 (and still have a bottle of the 2013). We tried The Bard and Lewis is a similar price range and migrated to those for whatever reason. I have a bottle of 2013 Opus that we don’t plan to drink for a while. Maybe on our 25th anniversary in 2025. As for the Chileans give Don Melchor a try if you get a chance. I found a bottle at Costco last week for $79.

Quote:
Oh and the accessories. Used to have a wine fridge, but it broke down after 3 years of use and never bought another one. I stock around 2 cases of wine only and my wines are not that expensive (keeping it under $25 for daily bottles) so did not bother investing into another one.

Does anyone have experience with Coravin or one of those wine preservation systems?
I have not tried a Coravin and go back and forth on them. We aren’t daily wine drinkers so we usually finish a bottle when we have it. It would be nice to have the ability to have a glass a few nights a week without popping the cork. I’m a little confused by all the different models and find them rather expensive, but admittedly haven’t invested a lot of time in research.

Quote:
Googled it and it is a $2k fridge
Well I have had one for over 15 years (and they were a lot less expensive back then). It still keeps great temp and humidity but got a little noisy. Combined with wanting a little more space I got a new one and moved the old one to another room and continue to use it. We live in FL and need something for wine climate control since I like to store some bottles for years - no actual cellars here. I am ok with the investment given performance and life. I recommend for anyone serious / semi-serious about storing quality wines.