08-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #11
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangyi17 View Post
Thanks. I missed the negative sign. Was looking for a terminal like the positive one. I guess any exposed metal part will do
Maybe/probably/possibly...but personally I would use the dedicated negative charging/jump start terminal designed to do so.

I have read many times where owners have hooked the negative cable to what they thought was something grounded...and came back to a dead battery. Sometimes what you "think" may be grounded may not be. Recent memory on the f06/f12/f13 forum...a member used one of the hex shaped bolts in the engine bay (either on the shock tower or one of the braces) which they thought was grounded...and it didn't work. It was then pointed out that they were very close to the negative terminal...they tried that and it worked.

You can see a pic of the f06 650ix engine bay below where there are multiple hex bolts that appear they would be grounded...but some of them are not...it could be the same in the G05 engine bay so I would recommend using the dedicated jump start terminals to avoid any charging failures.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0