05-16-2020, 12:50 PM   #104
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmerman View Post
A BMW employee, Chris, from the Executive Offices in New Jersey HQ called me informing me my "case" had been sent up to him. We had a great phone call yesterday. I informed him about the "humming" in my new X5 on the 22" rims and about this thread about the issue. We agreed it would be great to figure this out for me and for everyone else. So to that end, he is reaching out to Rusnak service manager to have him call me to get the car in for a look. COVID is not helping though, as I am not sure if we can test drive the car together. My thought is to have them swap all 4 rims for 21" and go for a spin. Also have them look for the counterweights and see if that is an issue. Open to any other questions or suggestions...from the group. I'll keep you posted, but the good news is we have the attention of BMW USA at the highest levels it appears.
Thanks for the update. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I was able to drive a loaner that had 21" run flats and the sound was about 1/3 to 1/2 of mine, which was surprising given they were run flats. I would be very satisfied with this level of sound on my car. I was also able to drive another car with the same 22" wheels and tires as mine and the sound was pretty similar, which was discouraging.

At this point, I'm hoping that the counterweight is the solution for the issue at this point, but let us know what you find out. Thanks again
Appreciate 0