View Single Post
      09-17-2020, 07:31 PM   #16
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Right, that's an old tactic, hold the potential buyer in the showroom as long as possible and wear them down to the point where they will pay anything just to get out of there. What a joke.

I canvass around 10 dealers, then put their offers in an ordered chart and send it back to all 10. They recognize their offers and can see how far about the lowest price they are. I give them one more shot at gaining the sale but for a new car, I go with the lowest bidder on an out the door price, no trade.

The last car I did this with was for my wife's GTi and a dealer in PA came in at $3K less than my local NY dealer. Wanting to do business with my local guy, where I would be taking it for service, I showed them the revised offer and asked them to match it, they did not, so I bought from the PA dealer.

Great story. I have nothing against dealers. I am a capitalist at heart and I have no issue when a business is trying to make a profit. I just want a fair deal at market price (not MSRP) and no runaround.

Dealers must know the game is changing and they are losing/have lost control. Cars are a commodity and you can buy the like you buy a refrigerator. The dealers that will be successful in the future will pivot and change their business model and give up the games and shenanigans.
Appreciate 0