01-25-2021, 11:08 PM   #10
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The vehicle will never (if it's working right) try to pull more amps than the EVSE says it has in the pilot signal it sends out. The setting in the vehicle is only there to help prevent overloading of a shared circuit the EVSE might be trying to share with say your garage door opener, or a saw you want to use in the garage. Otherwise, leave it at maximum.

After a long, aggressive drive on a hot summer day, the battery pack may be quite warm, and the cooling will eat up more of the input power when recharging to help preserve it. As would parking out in the open over asphalt that has been cooking in the sun all day, potentially increasing the cooling load maybe before the charging can even begin. So, charging efficiency is a temperature and EVSE limited situation.

At 120vac, it appears to be in the low 90% efficiency range while 240vac is closer to 95%, so you lose some when supplying it with the lower voltage input, disregarding any cooling that may be required in the process.
All I am using is a 16 amp 120v charging cable that I plug straight into an outlet so only the cable which has a built-in amp regulator or whatever you call it can send a pilot signal. My point is that I set the car to draw 13 amps and it’s still showing that it’s drawing 16 amps while charging.

Can you or someone answer my questions #1 and #2?
Appreciate 0