2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Relative to my 11/2019.40 install:
- heard of no new deployed features that I value
- heard of no bug fixes that I value
- note that I even have to go on hearsay since BMW is not organized enough to tell us what they changed
- camera switching with gear shift bug still exists and uncertainty that the coding fix to deal with it will even take this time
- confusion or even possibly inability to code anti-dazzle back in after update
- various new random unexplained crashes, software instability, and connected drive issues seem to be all over the forum
- I am sure I can think of more if I try ...
- heard of no new deployed features that I value - how do you know if you don't try yourself? Maybe there are features that you value that others don't? Why wait for everyone else to do the spade work....
- heard of no bug fixes that I value - reference above. What bugs do you have? model/region specific so who knows if there are any for your specific model if you dont try.
- note that I even have to go on hearsay since BMW is not organised enough to tell us what they changed - 07/2020 is not part of RSU. Wait for OTA and you will get release notes, otherwise it's a warranty upgrade to fix a warrantable issue. If CA are not getting RSU that's a different matter.
- camera switching with gear shift bug still exists and uncertainty that the coding fix to deal with it will even take this time - not a bug, its by design, not a good design, but a design nevertheless. Nothing to suggest this won't work, but its a code change so not supported
- confusion or even possibly inability to code anti-dazzle back in after update - you're not entitled to this feature as its an unsupported code change. Still, nothing to suggest it won't work with 07/2020? US coders have it working
- various new random unexplained crashes, software instability, and connected drive issues seem to be all over the forum - maybe prudent to wait a few point releases like 07/2020.50+ so they can squash any bugs. The Digital Key implementation seems to be a little messed up so if you depend on that maybe wait. I've used it in 1.0 and 1.5 format and seems to work with my NFC card but the Comfort Access isn't 100% reliable with SA 1.5.

IMO 07/2020.25 improves the cars driving significantly over 03/2020 but it has features I rate.

I know you didn't like aSLA cos it wouldn't let you drive 10 mph over the speed limit. This feature constraint isn't an issue for me, as Id soon get banned from driving here in the UK.
Your points are all valid if the car was ONLY a weekend coding and new assist tech discovery hobby. But I want to enjoy driving it TOO and not be frustrated (and be distracted) by badly designed or buggy tech. As such, the negatives or risks of negatives in 07/2020.xx so far appears to far outweigh the positives, for me. And I consider bad design to be effective bugs — any less would let bad designs and careless designers off the hook.

But that could change with information. Promise (and reality) of much improved auto lane change (that you highlighted) was the major push to get me to 11/2019.xx and it randomly happened to turn out that BMW did fix several of the other unbearable camera bugs in that release (undocumented fixes and fixes to bugs that many here argued were not bugs at all, by the way). Something like that might get me over the edge, but I suspect I am waiting to at least 11/2020.xx

Here is something that would get me over: re-enable forward facing lane tracking assist when towing — absolutely no reason that is turned off and that's what I (and probably everyone) wants on long towing trips. Of course keep blind spot intervention and ALC off, but I can see no safety or tech limit to lane tracking.