02-01-2020, 08:02 AM   #51
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I think one of the reasons that Lexus has the reliability they do is because they generally do not update very often or seem to embrace new technology until it is old/proven. In some way you can't argue with that business model. They are the gold standard for reliability and sell almost twice as many mid size luxury SUVs as the number two seller, the X5. While they are not my cup of tea in either design or function, they certainly appeal to many consumers.
Totally agree that they are slower to adapt to new technologies and generally hold off until they're confident in the technology's reliability. It's a business model that has served them well.... at the price point of the RX.

That being said, charging a starting MSRP of $86k for an LX with decades old technology/driving dynamics is my point. It's an anomaly to their luxury on a budget value prop. If they're going to price it above the Germans, it's an opportunity to build something that offers more than just reliability. The fact that they don't is manifested in their sales (at least in the US market).

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0