Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Not totally sure about the Lexus point. They make the LX which is an oddity since it has a higher base price than the X7 and GLS. The reason they don't sell well is because it's an ancient platform with ancient technology in dire need of updating (and most people don't care to offroad).

So Lexus already makes a car more expensive than the equivalent Germans, but they refuse to update it. You'd think for the price they're charging, they'd make it at least on par with the Germans.

Lexus has a huge SUV following (more so than any other SUV on the market) due to the success of the RX. So I firmly believe if they updated their GX and LX models with technology and driving dynamics that aren't literally over a decade old, they'd pose a legitimate threat to the X5/GLE and X7/GLS. More so than any of the other luxury brands (Acura, Infiniti, Genesis, etc).
The Land Cruiser is expensive because it's a very capable body on frame off road true SUV with luxury interior bits. The LX, which is mechanically the same car, is basically the same price plus a couple thousand bucks. It's designed to last decades, not just 6 years.

Last edited by upsidedownfunnel; 02-01-2020 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 1