02-02-2020, 01:17 PM   #5230
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Here's something I've wrestled with for years. Does a prospective partner's financial status, at least relative to your own, matter to you?

I've drifted all over the road on this one. Does it matter to me? (Yeah, kind of). If it does, when and how do I bring it up? How much of a difference in financial status can a couple withstand, without it becoming an issue at some point?

Would love to know how you folks have grappled with this.
It can depend on your own circumstances. Where I am today if I only dated people with my income/net worth, it would be a very small pool, and they would probably think "I can easily get a guy younger and hotter than you".

One I dated years ago was sort of bothered by it - she couldn't afford the restaurants I wanted to go to. But we did go to her local (and cheap) Korean place she loved (it was good). In the end we agreed that she pay when we went there, and I'd pay elsewhere which was good - she didn't have to feel bad, and *I* got to go to some restaurants I enjoy too.

So while some degree of parity where they can contribute (first class tickets for 2 to Europe don't come cheap!) would be good but I think there's many things that would come before that for me. Things like has a pulse, likes me, can sleep through heavy snoring - minor things like that.
Appreciate 3