Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 X5 MSport - Week 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk88 View Post
iOS is a closed ended system meaning the functionality of the iPhone is restricted to what the manufacturer (Apple) thinks you should be able to control. Android is open source so Google doesn't try to control what you have access to or what you can use the phones features/hardware for.

The reason this is an issue for iPhone in the case of the X5 is that Apple until the newest software update did not give app developers like BMW connected services access to their NFC functionality. The NFC was limited to use with ApplePay only. With the iOS update we hope BMW will be able to use this feature to implement the digital key function.

That's my understanding. Anyone with better knowledge can feel free to correct me.
That openness and lack of privacy is what has kept Android Auto from BMW.
Yes so the security is the flip side to the Android operating system. The issue we have with phones is that you either have a closed ended system like iOS and then people have issues with functionality, or, you have an open source system like Android and you have security issues associated with me. Apple isn't immune to hacking but it's harder.

Wouldn't is just be easier if these companies just gave consumers the option to have one built with an IDS/IPS (intrusion detection/intrusion prevention) system to increase security. I would gladly pay extra for that as an option.
Appreciate 0