View Single Post
      06-19-2023, 04:51 PM   #29
MNm3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Le Mans Blue e90 M3

UPDATE: brought the 50e in to the dealer this morning to have the check engine light checked and was told by the SA that it was indeed the same issue mentioned above and the car was not safe to operate. Refrigerant shut off valve for the high voltage battery unit and that the part is on backorder for 3 months.

The SA came to me, quite non-chalantly, and proceeded to tell me in front of other customers what the issue and timeline were (probably not a good move imho, in case anyone from BMW is listening, maybe have this conversation in a more private setting, lady next to me was noticeably surprised to hear what she was hearing). He stated that they had a Enterprise rental car for me to hold me over. Period. Not great news to receive that your $90k three week old car is going to be down for three months, oh and just sitting outside in the elements waiting for a part.

Needless to say, I was less that thrilled, (more with the dealer’s handling of the situation) and asked to speak to someone higher up. Ended up getting an audience with the head of service who told me that they expect the timeline to go much faster and that I was the third car they’ve had this happen to and the last one they got turned around in three days. Apparently BMW pulled the part off an in-production vehicle and shipped it out. They think it’s a bad batch of this one part so might not affect every car, hence why there has not been a recall… yet. But they are taking the approach of under promising and over delivering I guess.

I also pushed back on the rental car as a short term solution and eventually got them to set me up with a BMW loaner. Base model ‘24 x5. Much better than a random enterprise rental.

If the car does end up taking three months to fix, I will be pushing BMW for compensation of some kind and the head of service believes BMW will provide. Having that kind of change tied up in an asset I can’t use and continues to depreciate on their lot because of a bad part is not a good look for them.

Will continue to keep the thread posted…
walketed182.00