View Single Post
      11-04-2019, 11:17 AM   #694
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by B///MW View Post
I'm wondering if the rear seats with heating elements have been worse for wrinkling than the ones without heating elements installed.
I think you may be on to something..... and I have the same theory.

Personally, I don't think the wrinkles look "that" bad. I wouldn't refuse a vehicle because of them. However, there is no doubt in my mind that it's absolutely not "intentional".

Rear seat heaters are an extremely common, and extremely cheap option... which is why almost everyone gets them. Incidentally, that might explain why every so often, I come across pictures of rear seats that don't seem to be affected.

Maybe the few that aren't affected are the few that don't have rear seat heaters?

I ordered my M50i without rear seat heaters. My kids would just mess with the buttons and probably break them anyway, so based upon the pictures in this thread, I opted NOT to fit my car with them.

My theory... is that the seats are made (which is likely how they passed QC), and then afterward, something in BMW manufacturing process requires that they be "stretched" somehow to install seat heaters afterward. Perhaps the leather was still warm when they were stretched? I don't know.... but to me, it makes sense.

I've done enough restorations to know that when you remove, bend, or contort a leather seat.... it never looks quite the same when you put it back in. That's what this looks like to me.

My car is slotted to be built in mid December.... and delivered late January..... I'll know then.
Appreciate 0