05-19-2016, 11:10 AM   #20426
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
Damn! That's a huge difference! LOL congrats man!!

Yeah, haha. The perception of hard work is usually quantified appropriately when we aren't monitoring as we go along. But that's remarkable, nonetheless!
I supposed i should clarify. My pedals measure power independently and i only had one with a dead battery. That's the one that talks to my garmin which meant my garmin was displaying no power readings. I have an app on my phone (for back up) that takes to my pedals independently. In using that, the power output shown on the display was only from one pedal. Power figures for one pedal typically = 50% of actual power.

Maybe it was the psychological effect of seeing such a low number when i'm using to seeing double that made me work harder? I mean i was doubling the number in my head while riding but when reading power from only one pedal, it only moves in 5 watt increments. In trying to stay above 100 watts i was trying to see 105 more often than 100. By doubling my best 20 min power average, i was at 217. The best 20 min average I've put down (outside of that TT race) was 209 watts. 8 watts doesn't sound like much but just a hand full of watts when you're over 200 can make a significant difference.

On the note of 8 watts making a significant difference, i've read that by shaving my legs i can reduce my drag coefficient by what equals a 7 - 12 watt gain over 40k, depending on my Chewbacca factor. On the Chewy scale, i think i'll probably gain about 10 watts, which is huge. So far though, i'm not jonesing bad enough for extra wattage to justify shave my legs.