12-23-2022, 06:02 PM   #93
mikekay
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkNinja400Guy View Post
They're gonna put ads into the iDrive navigation system.

(In case you didn't get it: "personalized and contextual recommendations from selected third-party providers" is marketing speak for "ad")

If you don't use the My BMW app, you can code the vehicle to completely disable its onboard SIM card - that'll kill the car's internet connection, so it won't be able to fetch any ads from BMW servers, or send any of your info to the mothership. I haven't yet set up BimmerUtility to be able to do advanced coding on my car, but disabling the SIM card has been on my to-do list for a while.

Edit: Forgot to mention, it also disables the SOS functionality. Thanks for the reminder nZtiZia.

If you do end up getting ads in the future, you could do a factory reset in iDrive to clear any already-downloaded saved ads off the car, and then disable the SIM card to prevent it from fetching more ads from BMW servers.
Pay premium prices for a car and still get ads, what is happening to the world?

I mean is BMW bleeding money that bad or is it a hop on the bandwagon type of deal like everyone else?

Sometimes I am honestly thinking of picking up a truck a decade old and just getting away from all this tech

It's cool but also super annoying I have a SOS malfunction as well and have been driving around with a messed up NAV, no SiriusXM, no bmwapp remote start, and more. I mean oh well right what can you do. But ads just seems like insult on top of injury...
Appreciate 0