View Single Post
      03-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #40
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

I work and sell in an industry where image is incredibly widely arrayed. I can walk into a sell where I'm selling to one guy in a $2000 custom suit and a high-end watch, sitting next to a guy in jeans and a worn out poorly fitting shirt - and he's the ultimate decision maker.

For me, it's about being conservative and taking care of the details. A rolex sub would be fine but it would be noticed by some in a negative light because it's common chosen and indicates a $5-8k spend on jewelry. A more conservative choice, and a talking point if it came up, would be an Omega Speedmaster for example.

Secondly, I travel a good bit. I take trains to NYC/Penn Station, for example. I absolutely do not want to be walking through Penn Station and the surrounding area wearing a conspicuous watch. And I'm a fit male. The people who would be targeting me would know exactly how much they could pawn the watch for that same day.

If you spend all your time in communities where BMW ownership is a norm, then this isn't as much a concern. But a high-end watch is just like buying your wife a very large diamond engagement ring - your concern isn't about the people who say something to you about it, it's about the people you don't even notice identifying how much it's worth.
Appreciate 0