View Single Post
      08-10-2019, 12:28 AM   #32
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
I can't prove your Haldex style AWD system is any better than Subaru's system. And neither can you Doesn't matter how you control the torqu. .. I know how good my xt is in the snow. I can. drive all day in 10 inch snow. Thats good enough for me.

As far as not being able to build a quality engine..As I have said the FA engine has won the best import engine 3 times in seven years. No one (including BMW has done that. The FB had an oil usage problem the first year it was out. It was a problem. Again I don't know what the Quality of the FB series is. The EJ turbo is as good an engine as anyone has ever built...that's not bs..its fact.

The EJ engine was an open deck engine that chewed up head gaskets. Subaru was criminal for allowing that to continue. Its right up there with the GM 2.4/2.6 Intake gasket leak. Subaru deserves all the critism for that engine. But once they went to MLS gaskets the problem went away. But even I can not defend that engine.
It was ridiculous that they were using the 4EAT for so long, especially putting it in the WRX and FXT.

It is ridiculous that they will not bring twin spool turbos or other technology into the WRX/STI to prevent them from being old-school rev-to-3K-before-power turbos.

It was ridiculous that they wouldn't put a 6-speed in the WRX for so long, so you'd have to be buzzing along at 60mph and 3200 rpm.

It was ridiculous that they put 205 section tires on the WRX for so many years.

It is ridiculous that the STI is still only 305hp.

It is ridiculous that the "hottest" legacy is 256hp or whatever.

Then there was the classic Subaru propaganda that their dealers pushed: "Don't look at HP, look at 0-60 times!". But of course a 5K clutch drop in an AWD turbo car would produce a good 0-60...until the transmission breaks.

Subaru is often the last to do anything cool, but they are a niche market with all models being AWD. This keeps them being a big seller in certain places and they have positioned themselves nicely for the geriatric crowd, with their safety devices. They've done some cool stuff, but they are far from an innovator and largely boring these days.