United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
It was ridiculous that they were using the 4EAT for so long, especially putting it in the WRX and FXT.

It is ridiculous that they will not bring twin spool turbos or other technology into the WRX/STI to prevent them from being old-school rev-to-3K-before-power turbos.

It was ridiculous that they wouldn't put a 6-speed in the WRX for so long, so you'd have to be buzzing along at 60mph and 3200 rpm.

It was ridiculous that they put 205 section tires on the WRX for so many years.

It is ridiculous that the STI is still only 305hp.

It is ridiculous that the "hottest" legacy is 256hp or whatever.

Then there was the classic Subaru propaganda that their dealers pushed: "Don't look at HP, look at 0-60 times!". But of course a 5K clutch drop in an AWD turbo car would produce a good 0-60...until the transmission breaks.

Subaru is often the last to do anything cool, but they are a niche market with all models being AWD. This keeps them being a big seller in certain places and they have positioned themselves nicely for the geriatric crowd, with their safety devices. They've done some cool stuff, but they are far from an innovator and largely boring these days.
OMG! That was me as a senior in HS (but not in a Subaru). The shop said they had never seen a clutch abused like that. It was actually glowing red when I popped the hood to see why my car wouldn't "go".
Appreciate 0