02-18-2020, 12:25 PM   #70
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisgsf View Post
I only have 1500 miles on the vehicle. I am changing mainly to eliminate the brake dust.

Initial impressions after a week of use on the power stop ceramic pads. Install by a local tech was easy. I do feel they have less grab than the stock pads. I do feel less stopping power. Nothing that is unsafe, it's just that the stock pads bit much harder.

Absolutely no squeaking or noise and man do the run clean, very clean. Pretty much no dust left behind.

One main issue and maybe the OP can chime in since he did this much earlier than me. When I'm at a stop and I change direction, for example pulled forward in my driveway and now will reverse to leave, I have a knock from the front pads.

I've done some research on this and it seems like this is no harm, it's simply the pad isn't the exact same size as the stock ones and they shift slightly. It seems that people who track their car and have track pads experience this. It's not really a problem except that I hate the sound and it sounds not normal. I'm just particular on this. Any others have issue and a potential solution for this? TIA
My experience changing from BMW OEM pads to the Akebono ceramic is a softer feeling when pressing on the brake pedal. My wife said she thought they did not stop the car as quickly. However, its a matter of getting used to them as they are indeed different than the OEM's. I found that if I press the brake pedal harder than I am used to, they brake quickly so possibly its just a matter of getting used to them.

I'm in Florida visiting family for a while and therefore don't have the opportunity to wash the car as often as I would when home. It's been three weeks since my last wash and when I go out and look at the wheels, they still look clean :-) With the OEM pads, the fronts would be dirty after three days of intermittent driving.

In terms of your brakes making a noise when changing direction, you may in fact be correct, do you still have the OEM pads to compare the size to? Are you sure they put all the pieces back together correctly? (Shims, anti-squeal springs, etc.) I'm not familiar with the G05 brakes and pads but is it even possible to put the fronts on the rear and visa versa? Normally the fronts are bigger and would not fit on the rear, but just exploring possibilities.
Appreciate 0