Thread: pc or mac
View Single Post
      07-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #33
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Networks/servers/data analysis have always gone hand in hand with unix, but there is tons of professional software (esp. in design/engineering) which is exclusive to windows.

I agree that it takes a bit more knowledge, experience, and effort to keep a windows machine running smoothly compared to a mac, but for me, after 2-3 weeks, the limitations (of mac) still outweigh the benefits. Hopefully this'll change in time.

I do have a dedicated linux machine for work, so don't really care for that functionality of the mac, just home use that's been more cumbersome.

I think it's pretty obvious the vast majority of kids buy macs due to hype and image, not added programming capability. To me, the added build 'quality' is worth maybe $100. Not the $300-400 Apple charges over the competition. Not much competition with the current air though...and I bet they'll be improving it substatially for at least a few generations. Mac mini is very convenient as well for home use. Just replaced a living room pc with one...still prefer the xbox for movie/TV streaming though.
Appreciate 0