View Single Post
      03-16-2016, 03:51 PM   #4
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Appreciate the feedback. I checked on the GPU, and the 960 is the best I can run safely without having to upgrade the power supply. Looks like there is a 2GB and a 4GB variant.

The memory seems like an easy thing to do. Is 16GB enough these days? I have four slots in this machine, so 4x 4GB is an option, or I can buy 2x 8GB and leave room for the future.

As far as SSD drives are concerned, what do you recommend for a desktop? I've seen SSDs that look like a memory card and others that look like a really skinny HD. Is one for desktops and the other for notebooks?
I literally just finished setting up a 64GB Mac Pro for work about 10 minutes ago, this is really overkill, I would feel comfortable with 16-32 gigs for video, I always err on the side of more is better, though this is pretty debatable according to the articles I've read. I would do 4x8 just because, but that ram could get expensive depending on if you have DDR4 or DDR3.

So an SSD is the same size as a laptop drive, but don't let that confuse you. Look at brands like Samsung (I have an older model 830 pro and it still kicks ass) Scandisk, Intel, and Mushkin. Not being familiar with your computer, I'm not sure if it will come with an SSD tray, which compensates for the smaller size of the SSD. If you do have to buy one I can't imagine they are very expensive.
Appreciate 0