01-20-2019, 10:44 AM   #38
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
Hey all. Quick update here. After a week with this setup on my 2019 X5, I cannot recommend it. Actually - I'd warn you against trying this setup.

Over 37 MPH the rack whistles in a way that will make you want to stab your eardrums out with a ballpoint pen. I don't exaggerate.

I was stubborn about getting to the bottom of the noise and tried moving the bar's locations around - test drive, whistle. Tried only the front bar - test drive, whistle. Only the rear - test drive, whistle. Covered the footings in microfiber cloths - test drive, whistle. Covered the Aerobars in microfiber cloth - the very thing/design that Thule markets as being the answer to quiet cross bars... surely the Aerobars were not the culprit... Test drive, silence.

It turns out the Aerobars were the source of the whistle. I'm not sure if it's the air flow of the X5 or the bar's height off the roof... but the whistle/noise they make in any position on the X5's roof will drive you up a wall.

Ordered on Amazon and going back to Amazon. Anyone else try and experience a better solution??
Maybe the aerodynamics of the F15 and G05 are quite significant and this is why they said a solution will be available in a couple of months. I know Thule won’t let a product like that out on the market that whistles loudly at speed. I guess we will have to wait and see what they come up with...
Appreciate 0