First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
It's different glass too with hundreds of etched dots to reflect the light. It's not truly individual LEDs or fiber optic light points as rolls royce does.
Ok, but my underlying question was...is it a different installation than a normal sunroof? Like, a diff size, diff mounting gaskets/seals, is the roof cut differently, etc. My reason for asking is that if ikke123 is correct and there are water ingress issues and its the same basic physical sunroof everyone gets, then the chance of a widespread water issue is at large. However, I have not yet heard about any sunroof related water issues so either what he heard is not true/not mainstream or it is a diff size/installation altogether. I've had sunroofs in all my BMW, never once had a leak...fingers crossed :-)
It's not a different size but holes are added to the frame for the wiring and the panel is put through more due to the etching which could maybe contribute. I'm not sure but I have heard of plenty of people with water ingress / clicking noises coming from it regardless of lighting
Appreciate 0