Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

M-sport G05 X5 winter set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGoober View Post
Apologies if this is a dumb question but I am a newcomer to needing winter tires. Last season was my first time living near snowy conditions so I had a set of Blizzaks mounted on my F15 stock rims. I see most folks in this thread seem to prefer a completely separate set of rims and tires rather than just swapping the tires twice per year.

Any reason why that would be preferable? I can think of salt perhaps causing corrosion on the rims, but I typically wash my car as soon as I get down from the mountain (just go up for ski days, and back to wet but not snowy conditions for the rest of the time).

Thanks!
Every time I have a set of tires unmounted and remounted is one more time I have to go to a tire shop twice a year and pay them while I wait around for them to do it, and hope they don't damage the rims too bad, and hope they get the balance right. And hope an early winter storm doesn't make the tire shops extremely busy while thousands of others suddenly want their winter tires mounted at the same time.
Or, I can have the winters mounted and ready to go sitting in my garage. When it's time, I wander out to my garage, and change the tires in less time than if I was waiting in some tire shop waiting room. And, I know it got done right. I never-seize the bolts and the wheel-hub mating surface so it doesn't rust together, and I use a torque wrench with the proper setting instead of relying on some 20 year old kid with an airgun over-torquing the bolts so bad that I can't get them off without using an airgun.
But that's just me. Also, the coffee is better at my house than it is in the waiting room at the tire shop.
I agree 100%

One year I spent like 4 hrs at discount tire with appt jus to install a winter set that I had already dropped off a couple days before.

Now I just waddle out to my garage and do the swap myself.
Appreciate 0