View Single Post
      04-01-2020, 11:55 AM   #52
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Not entirely true. When I was a production manager, I had all employees that would potentially paint (so wear a respirator) perform a fit test, for OSHA, to determine if the respirator provided an adequate seal against the face. If they at any point tasted the sweet or bitter solution while performing the test when wearing the respirator, the test was failed. So the fit test, is in fact, a test to determine the fit of the respirator to the user.

A test like this:
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...Fit-Test-Sweet

That said, we were using a bit different respirator system than the N95 that people are thinking of.
Yes, yes if course there are variations, and I could have been more loose with my description.

The testing of proper equipment (mask) to be used is not the process of "Fit Testing"... In its entirety. Is what I should have said

As an aside, if you issued respirators without a medical practitioner signing off on it, you would be potentially culpable if that employee were to suffer any injury from it (restricted breathing). There is no Good Samaritan protection for the "Responsible Person" issuing said respirators to an employee. Some States even allow for that employer representative to be personally liable for "negligence" in an injury.

Not many are even aware that in a work environment (U.S.), if masks are sitting there on a shelf for employee use, but is not mandated by the employer representative, they're just masks, or tools that can be used. Once a work task is identified to "require" a mask, and the Responsible Person informs, and requires, (employees completing said task) that they must wear a mask, it becomes a respirator! And there is a world of difference between the two examples.

The Process of determining the appropriate equipment to be used requires the proper fitment, yes of course. And yes, we are both correct in a way. But the earlier post was arbitrary and misleading. To select the appropriate equipment, it just be worn, as face, shapes, sizes, etc., can vary, the right type of mask must be used that ensures a tight, leak free seal. In addition, the mask and it's filtering capabilities must match the potential permissible exposure limits as not all filters can filter 100% of contaminants. The N95 actually signifies that it can only filter 95% if the material it is rated for (TWA). And if the mask doesn't fit correctly, then the apparatus is upscaled, half face, and even full face masks to provide the correct "fitting" or seal. Again, the type matched to the exposure.

The fitment and filtration are two separate and succinct concerns and must be associated with the material being exposed to, the amount of time being exposed, etc., etc.

Again, "Fit Testing" is not just a process of putting a mask on and seeing how it seals. Not trying to create any long disagreement, as we are almost talking the same thing. But it's important that people understand the difference if they're (not you) going to be throwing information out there

Hope everyone stays safe! It's nice out today, think I'm gonna go for a ride (M240) hahahaha
Appreciate 3
Rmtt8211.00
zx10guy5149.50