View Single Post
      04-01-2020, 12:54 PM   #55
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Yes, yes if course there are variations, and I could have been more loose with my description.

The testing of proper equipment (mask) to be used is not the process of "Fit Testing"... In its entirety. Is what I should have said

As an aside, if you issued respirators without a medical practitioner signing off on it, you would be potentially culpable if that employee were to suffer any injury from it (restricted breathing). There is no Good Samaritan protection for the "Responsible Person" issuing said respirators to an employee. Some States even allow for that employer representative to be personally liable for "negligence" in an injury.

Not many are even aware that in a work environment (U.S.), if masks are sitting there on a shelf for employee use, but is not mandated by the employer representative, they're just masks, or tools that can be used. Once a work task is identified to "require" a mask, and the Responsible Person informs, and requires, (employees completing said task) that they must wear a mask, it becomes a respirator! And there is a world of difference between the two examples.

The Process of determining the appropriate equipment to be used requires the proper fitment, yes of course. And yes, we are both correct in a way. But the earlier post was arbitrary and misleading. To select the appropriate equipment, it just be worn, as face, shapes, sizes, etc., can vary, the right type of mask must be used that ensures a tight, leak free seal. In addition, the mask and it's filtering capabilities must match the potential permissible exposure limits as not all filters can filter 100% of contaminants. The N95 actually signifies that it can only filter 95% if the material it is rated for (TWA). And if the mask doesn't fit correctly, then the apparatus is upscaled, half face, and even full face masks to provide the correct "fitting" or seal. Again, the type matched to the exposure.

The fitment and filtration are two separate and succinct concerns and must be associated with the material being exposed to, the amount of time being exposed, etc., etc.

Again, "Fit Testing" is not just a process of putting a mask on and seeing how it seals. Not trying to create any long disagreement, as we are almost talking the same thing. But it's important that people understand the difference if they're (not you) going to be throwing information out there

Hope everyone stays safe! It's nice out today, think I'm gonna go for a ride (M240) hahahaha
Interesting info about the liability of employers once masks are required for a job. I had a job way back when where I was required to wear a mask but I don't think this liability applied in my situation. The masks I had to wear were military M17 gas masks. The job I had required me to work around chemical surety agents. In lay person speak, chemical surety agents are chemical warfare compounds....GA, GD, CK, Lewisite, HD, etc. The fit testing was done under the supervision of one of the scientists/technical supervisors at the company. This required the use of a compound that emits a specific smell where it's waved around the mask seal points on your face as you move your head around to ensure no vapors are picked up by your nose. The maintenance of the masks are done by the US Army and are picked up on a set routine schedule.

In addition, the lab facility I worked in had periodic inspections by the US Army to ensure documentation and physical safety standards were upheld.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00