View Single Post
      05-18-2020, 08:09 AM   #8
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
The struts will need replacing at an earlier interval..... with ANY lowering spring.

Eibach makes a great product in that, they have a similar ride quality to stock, while offering a moderate drop, and a moderate improvement in appearance.

They will do NOTHING for handling/performance though.

The downside.... is that they are "soft" by comparison to most aftermarket springs..... so they will sag over time, and they will cause quicker wear on your struts too.

Stiffer lowering springs will extend strut life somewhat.... and will likely offer a lower drop, and better handling. The downside though, is that the ride quality will be noticeably more harsh.

It really depends on what you want, and what

Eibach makes a great product in that, they have a similar ride quality to stock, while offering a moderate drop, and a moderate improvement in appearance.

They will do NOTHING for handling/performance though.

The downside.... is that they are "soft" by comparison to most aftermarket springs..... so they will sag over time, and they will cause quicker wear on your struts too.

Stiffer lowering springs will extend strut life somewhat.... and will likely offer a lower drop, and better handling. The downside though, is that the ride quality will be noticeably more harsh.

It really depends on what you want, and what sacrifices you are willing to make.

For moderate drop, moderate appearance upgrade, and comfortable ride....but reduced strut life..... I recommend the Eibach pro-kit.

*** DO NOT BUY Eibach's more aggressive (even lower) lowering spring. I can't remember what they call it.... but it is just as "soft" as the pro-kit.... but much lower. They sag just as quickly, and because they are SO low, and SO soft.... your struts will be gone in a year..... no joke. EDIT: They are called the "Eibach Sportline". Don't buy those pieces of s**t, you will destroy your car.

For aggressive drop, aggressive handling upgrade, better strut life (than Eibach anyhow) but harsh ride.... I recommend Vogtland springs.

The only way you will get the best of both worlds..... is to buy a matched set of struts and springs. I recommend Koni Yellow struts, and your choice of springs. Koni's are engineered to work with lowering springs, adjustable, and will likely outlast your factory struts.

I'm not bashing the pro-kit at all. I've used them MANY times over the past 25 years. However, I've learned their shortcomings. The last car I used them on was my 2014 328i, but that time... I was smart, and I coupled them with Koni Yellows. Car handled PHENOMENAL.... ride quality was impeccable.... and the car looked better too. Struts were $700, springs were $250ish if I recall, and the whole setup was worth every penny.

Ironically, when I traded in the car, I removed the suspension, the MPerformance BBK, and converted it back to stock. My new 2016 340i had adaptive suspension, and it was an Msport, so I didn't feel the need to lower it. I sold the springs on eBay in a matter of hours. The Koni Yellow struts?? Are still sitting in my basement... 5 years later. No one wanted them. They wanted the "look" of a lowered car, but didn't want to spend a few extra bucks to have the handling and reliability. Bizarre.
Thanks, 914. Always appreciate your insight!
I just went to check out Vogtland, but it doesn't have anything for the G05... yet.
Appreciate 0