12-22-2019, 12:33 AM   #55
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I bet. So I just googled this, I see Waco is about 1.5 hrs away from Dallas. My wife watches that show Fixer Upper with Chip and Joanna Gaines who are in Waco apparently.

Ever heard of the show / them - is it a real thing, are they genuine?

Reason I ask is because I remember my sister in law contacting this other real estate show up here...property brothers I think, where apparently the one brother is a realtor and helps you find a house that needs renos, and the other brother does the work with a team to reno it and you get this beautiful house at the end of the day (sort of like Fixer Upper).

So my sister in law contacts the show because they were looking for a house in Toronto figuring they could help them find something and reno it.

Turns out, its all a sham for TV - the lady on the other end said you already had to have the house and they'd come to look at it, and the one "construction" brother doesn't actually do much of anything, its the crew.

It was pretty funny, I had a good laugh at her expense. But yeah, sham, just for TV. That's why I wonder if its actually the same on Fixer Upper. They seem like nice people though.
Oh yeah, it’s all a sham. Typically like the Property Brothers, the people have already bought their house. The whole “house hunt” part is always staged.
In terms of the construction, I think Chip does actually have a crew that does stuff and he is somewhat handy himself and can do some construction projects if he wanted to, but I’m sure he just has a crew working on it. So they may be more genuine than the property brothers who literally were stand up comics or magicians or something like that before the show.
I will say though, their market prices for the houses are definitely pretty real. Waco TX is pretty inexpensive housing. It’s a cute place but not a hugely desirable place to live. it’s not a city that’s really close to anything unless your business or job is located there. It’s 1.5 hours from Austin or Dallas. However, because of that, a house built in the 90’s with an acre or two of property is totally realistic for sub-300k. But it’s not a place you could pay me to live personally...
The show however has helped the city a TON in terms of tourism.

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 1