Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by An2610 View Post
Just finished install of
Inlet and cold air intake. Inlet kit is not really needed if you ask me. Rubber coupler that was part of inlet kit had a cut in it right in the middle and thank god I've noticed it when i inspected before the install. Ended up using the rubber coupler that came with the cold air intake. Inlet pipe clamp and rubber gasket that goes on the inside of the inlet can be reused from the oem inlet pipe, if the kit wasnt purchased.
Not going to lie It was a bit of a b!tch remove oem parts to install new.
Wire to the MAF sensor is streched to the max btw, Dinan_Engineeringi would rethink the location of the slot closer to the engine a bit, Wires are under a bit of tension when plugged in had to pop the box with air filter, plug the sensor and then pull and push down to set it in place.
Other then that its not bad at all.

Does dinan plan on releasing strut braces for g05? Oem ones are super ugly.
Thanks for the feedback and notes but I would caution against some of the reccomendations. Specifically using the stock components rather than the supplied pieces in the fit kit when pairing to the Dinan turbo inlet. This might be a bit of a long reply so bear with me.

The inlet was designed for the F-chassis small cars and re-using those components from those cars for fitment (gasket/oring, C clip). The fit kit takes those components that would have been re-used from stock on those applications to ensure proper fitment on the new applications.

While the silicone coupler from the intake could physically mate to the Dinan inlet it will be VERY tight on the inlet side and put a fair amount of additional force on that piece as a result. Give the support folks a call at 1-800-341-5480 and they can overnight a new coupler if that one was damaged. The fit kit coupler is 1/4" larger on the inlet side and will make that connection much easier. The stock C clip I have to imagine is very tight as well so would be concerned with that fully being seated. Don't have personal experience with how that G05 stock clip is so I am just speaking on what I would presume to be the case. The gasket/O-ring is the most important piece however. As you likely found out the stock o-ring does not fit quite right in the inlet and has a tendency to "fold." This tends to not allow the seal to be completed and cause codes and worst case if it were to get free or tear it could result in being ingested into the turbo. I would STRONGLY suggest you use the o-ring in the fit kit as opposed to reusing the factory o-ring.

MAF location -- noted -- The X5/X6/X7 are the extremes in terms of distance to travel for that cable as they sit the farthest down in the engine bay amongst the application list but you should still be able to plug it in without removing the lid and doing it the way you describe -- it is relatively taught/tight though. Regardless, will relay that to the engineering as maybe there is something that can be done to make that a bit easier.

In regards to braces there are no plans for G05 braces at present but wholeheartedly agree they are hideous. I know originally we were hoping that either the 2/3/4 series or Supra braces would magically fit but that was not in the cards. Of the application list for this intake it would take 4 different sets of braces (5/8 series, X5/X6/X7, X3/X4, and 7 series) to cover the spectrum as they all have different lengths, angles, and twists. At that point volume comes into play and if each of those would sell enough to make it worthwhile. Outside of this interaction, I have not heard of the desire to date. =/
Appreciate 0