View Single Post
      11-15-2019, 12:18 PM   #3
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I always believe it is best to lease a vehicle when it is in year one or two (I have seen some articles showing that year two vehicles actually have more problems than first year vehicles). You still have the problems either way but you know there is and end in sight and that you will not possible be stuck with a problem vehicle for many years.

I have had mine since January and it has spent almost 6 weeks in the shop due to the two times the vehicle communications went out. It didn't make it any less disappointing/frustrating/aggravating/etc. that I was leasing but I would hope that by year 4 when I'm going to buy my next one that problem is just a distant memory for the X5.

Actually I would hope there systems would be at a point for model launch that issues like this don't exist but as we have seen, that has not been the case of the X5 in general and iDrive specifically.
As we sparred about before, do you think it is the iDrive issue or vehicle as a whole? My previous BMW, albeit an F80, never had issues. I am not sure if the M cars are given more effort, if the German manufactured vehicles are more stringent, or if it is a Year 1 or 2 thing? iDrive 6 was boring, but never had issues. The G05 is awesome as a vehicle down to its bones. Some people had issues, but that’s to be expected. All my problems or complaints stem from iDrive 7 or other electronics. I think it’s a technology problem. People want more tech and the manufacturers are rushing to meet that. They’re trying to one up each other without first perfecting what they have.

At the end of the day, when I hit a pothole with a BMW, I don’t crack my teeth and crap my pants. The same can’t be said for many other manufacturers’ vehicles I’ve driven.
Appreciate 0