Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bmw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bmw View Post
While I don't like this behavior of camera constantly displaying rear unless "A" is pressed, it looks like this is not tied to SW version. We know x5 has this "feature" but my dealer confirmed the x7 has the same thing. I also tested my friend's x3 and it is programmed the same as well. I think I've read somebody posted previous x5 gen does this, too.
Sure. Doesn't make it even slightly right. Hence why I call this a software design defect. It is clearly as intended, but the intent is idiotic, dangerous, and anti-customer.
At least give us an option to configure it, as you earlier suggested, but that would be another permutation that they probably won't be able to unit test.

It is not a show stopper issue but quite annoying as it introduces delay in navigating through tight spots.
I think it's more dangerous than just annoying. Even after 6 months with it, I expect to see forward camera when moving forward. But depending how the sequence started, sometimes it will and sometimes it won't. I certainly am focused on parking/maneuvering and not keeping mental track of BMW's idiotic camera switching software state machine changes. And in many situations, behind you looks a lot like in front of you on the camera, so you can't tell it hasn't switched this specific time by just a glance; sometimes even a hard look is not enough to tell.

This is nicely stacked up for a child to get run over and a massive lawsuit. And BMW will completely deserve it (that's coming from a Canadian, where we generally don't have a culture of lawsuits).