View Single Post
      03-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #26
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnstr View Post
So the pressure is on, my girlfriend of three years is waiting (impatiently) for the proposal. We have a good conversation about it, and are on the same page. Something I have been considering for a while. We begin discussing rings and expectations. Now she comes from a relatively wealthy family- always had wealthy friends, expensive taste. Her best friend got married last year and she mentioned that her ring was $50k. That's completely overkill and absurd to me, just absolutely insane. I know the rule of thumb has supposedly been about three months pay, but even that is pretty far less than what her expectations are. For those of you who are married/engaged, can you ballpark me about how much you spent? Either in cash or in an amount relative to income.
I got my chick a $10k Vera Wang ring (I think it's like $12k now). My girl was through the roof when she saw it.

If your girl is that hung up on useless material BS then this is the time to GET THE FUCK OUT of the money pit. She will be a fucking parasite that will drain your bank account once you get married.. Mommy and daddy supported her expensive tastes and now it's your turn, sucker.. And her friend can be totally BS her about the price, as most rich girls tend to lie about shit like this.. Unless she gets the ring appraised, for all your know it might be worth only $15-$20k. My chicks ring looks way more expensive than it really is because of the design.

If you wish to continue this route then put the $50k in a savings account.. Spend $10k on the ring and save the rest of your divorce lawyer fund.

BTW are you currently living with your girl and if so for how long?
Appreciate 2